Thursday, October 22, 2009

Part 1 - Ellie's 5th Birthday

Anna asked me to do a Captain Hook's Jolly Roger ship with some main characters included for Ellie's birthday party...happy for a challenge, I dove right in! We had a few technical difficulites - like the cake falling apart the night before...psssht, that's nothing! :) I chose a dark chocolate devil's food cake with Ellie choosing chocolate bavarian cream filling.




View from the back



View from the front




Top back view



I ran into the same problem that I did with Sophia's figurines - fondarific does not take color well! I wanted to hand paint these so that the detail would really pop - but that fell to the wayside as I scrambled to make them look presentable! The sails didn't make it onto the ship either - the Fondarific ended up being very heavy - so they wouldn't attach as I had hoped.


All that truly matters is that Ellie and Anna were pleased - so I feel satisfied although I want to do another one just to get it all right! :)



Anna made me cut the cake so that the destruction would be on me - it was actually kind of liberating to demolish one of my cakes - I was sad though to see it all come down in a span of a few moments after taking almost a week to build! The cake was such a success, people were coming back for thirds! What a great feeling!





No comments: