Sunday, April 19, 2009

Honey...I Blew Up the Ferrero Rocher

It was Tram's sister birthday - Tram decided to surprise her with her favorite candy...as a cake! The huge sculpted Ferrero Rocher cake was only supposed to feed 10-15...the cake ended up a lot larger than intended...like 3 times the size!!! Yikes!

I made a triple hazelnut cake (Frangelico, toasted hazelnuts, and chocolate hazelnut oil) - with chocolate hazelnut filling and a Nutella Cream frosting. Before I covered the cake, I threw on some finely chopped toasted hazelnuts - to create a detail to mimic the candy. It was covered in chocolate fondant and sprayed with edible gold luster and detailed with brushed on gold luster dust. I hand painted the label - and DH made the wrapper.

That week was crazy - my grandmother went into the hospital - so my time management went tot he wayside...the wrapper was supposed to be painted with gold detail and made from foam core, the cake was supposed to be covered in gumpaste so I could get a greater detail in the "foil wrap" effect...but all in all, it worked out well!

Tram is sending me photos of the cross section and some photos of guests enjoying the cake :) So...more photos to post soon!



No comments: