Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stormtrooper Cake

I made this stormtrooper helmet cake for Frank's 40th birthday. I was almost in tears as the cake settled more than I anticipated - so the nose of the helmet came away from the rest of the cake...man - it was close to perfect before the fondant was put on. In hindsight, I would have done the helmet part as cake and then do the nose part solely with fondant. This is a SIX layer vanilla cake with a chocolate swiss meringue buttercream frosting...YUM!

I guess I'll have to keep trying to get this perfect...the only good news that day was that Trey (4 years old) knew, when this was just crumb coated and before I covered this with fondant, that this was a stormtrooper! What a good kiddo! The most fun and the most annoying part of this project was carving the cake. I put so much detail into this that didn't come across in the final product - arg!!! Frustrating.

No comments: